Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Apricot-Amaretto Chews


My great Aunt Jean passed about a year and a half ago, and she was like my grandma. She always had these cookies in her cookie jar at home. When she passed away, these were actually the last kind of cookies that were left in her cookie jar. I wish I could have bottled the smell of her house, which always smelled like fresh baked cookies. But when I make these Apricot-Amaretto Chews cookies, it comes pretty close to that smell. This recipe is out of a recipe book that I put together after she passed.



Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbs. amaretto 
2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. chopped dried apricots
1/2 c. finely chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and amaretto and beat well. Add the flour and baking soda to the wet mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats, apricots and nuts. Drop by rounded tsp. on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool one minute on the pan, then remove and cool completely on wire racks. Drizzle with a glaze (made of 2 cups powdered sugar and 2-3 Tbs. amaretto), and then I top them with a slice of dried apricot. Let the frosting cool all of the way so that it hardens, before trying to stack them or place in an air-tight container. 

No comments: