Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Honey Kissed Angel Food Cupcakes


In about a week and a half, I will be on my way to Florida for a week long vacation!! I am excited to take my nephew to Disney, since I haven't been there since I was about 5 or 6. That made me think of wanting to do some Disney inspired recipes, this being the first of a few to come I am sure.


I used to watch Winnie the Pooh when I was little, and so this recipe is inspired by Pooh bear himself.
 * No honey was stolen from Pooh to make this recipe :-) *


Ingredients:

1 box Angel Food cake mix (and the water called for on the package)

1 stick margarine, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. wildflower honey
1/4 c. low fat sour cream

2 c. powdered sugar

*I know that the above ingredients are separated in a weird way, but it will all make sense soon enough...

Move the rack in the oven to the lowest position possible. If there are multiple racks in your oven, remove all but one to cook on. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In an electric mixer, mix the angel food cake mix and water as directed on the package. Line cupcake tins with paper liners and fill 3/4 of the way full. Place in the oven and cook for 14-16 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown (you do not want to undercook these so it is okay if they turn a dark golden brown). Let cool fully on a wire rack.


Meanwhile, to make the honey glaze, combine the margarine, 2 c. powdered sugar, honey and sour cream together on medium speed of an electric mixer until well combined. Spoon about 1 Tbs. on the tops of each cupcake (this part is messy, so you might want to put down parchment or wax paper until the drying racks).

You should end up with about 1/3 of the glaze mixture left. To that, add about 1 1/2-2 c. of powdered sugar and beat on medium speed of an electric mixer. This will now form into a honey buttercream frosting. Pipe a small amount on top of the cupcakes (I piped mine with a circular tip to somewhat resemble a beehive).


(This recipe makes 30-35 cupcakes, only 3 WW points per cupcake!)

No comments: