Monday, December 14, 2015

Baked Latkes

 

Growing up, one of my close friends would always have me over to her house for one of the days of Hanukkah. One year her mom taught me how to make Latkes and that was the first time I had ever had them. I am addicted to potatoes so of course I got hooked! This is a version that I made up that is baked instead of pan fried, and the pictures use golden potatoes instead of the normal Idaho or baking, which is why they have a golden color. I may not be Jewish, but MAN do I love Latkes! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 lb. potatoes
1 small onion
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. flour


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grate the potatoes and onion. Squeeze the excess liquid from the grated vegetables and put in a large bowl. Combine the flour and baking powder. Add the egg to the grated mixture. Then add the flour mixture and salt. Use your hands and get dirty to combine all of the ingredients. Shape the mixture into 2-3 inch patties (about 1/4 inch thick). Spray the baking sheet with non cooking spray. Add the pancakes to the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip over, and bake for 10 more minutes until golden brown. (Makes about 16)


 
(This picture is from when the recipe was originally created in 2011)

No comments: