Friday, February 12, 2016

Husky Chocolate Sugar Cookies


Well this time every year the city I grew up in (Marquette, Michigan) has the UP200 Sled Dog Races. Back in high school and middle school I used to attend, but I have not had the time recently to go. I think the only reason I ever went is because my favorite dog in the entire world is a husky. 


This is another reason why I really haven't had the urge in recent years to attend. I have my very own little husky (around 5 1/2 now) named Tala. She is a pain, and full of personality, but I love this dog to death (even though she has a tiny little Hitler mustache...). She is my beautiful and loveable dog-ter!


Ingredients:

4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt

 In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until a paste forms. Add in the eggs on low speed one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for another 30 seconds or so. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until the dough starts to separate from the sides of the mixing bowl and stick to the paddle attachment. Lay the dough out between two large sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick with a rolling pin. Refrigerate the dough for an hour. 


Take the dough out of the refrigerator and place on a flat work surface. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper, and cut out the dough into husky shapes with a husky shaped cookie cutter. Place the cutouts on a plate to place back into the refrigerator. Continue to re-roll out the dough until you don't have enough to make another husky. Lay eight huskies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Have the other huskies sitting in the refrigerator to wait their turn (if you keep this dough somewhat chilled it won't spread out while baking). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a minute, and then transfer to a drying rack. 


I used melted semi-sweet chocolate to adhere a cinnamon red hot heart to my cookies. They really are sweet enough not to frost!


This was my sleepy helper in the kitchen while making these. Looks comfortable, doesn't it? To check out more information on the UP200 Sled Dog Races here in the UP, visit the link below.

No comments: