Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Upside Down Bananas Foster Cupcakes


Ask me how totally not on the ball I was this year for Mardi Gras. I thought it was a week from now, and that I had time to write out a grocery list and make these crazy different things. My mom today on the phone thank goodness corrected me which made me utilize items that I already had in my house. I didn't do too bad considering this is one out of four delicious recipes created with things that were laying around! This is by far my favorite Mardi Gras recipe made to date!


Ingredients:

1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 stick margarine, cut into 12 slices
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 large ripe banana
1 tsp. rum extract
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk, 1%
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non stick cooking spray and place 1 slice of margarine into the bottom of each cup. Place into the warm oven until melted. Add about 2 tsp. brown sugar into the melted butter, followed by 2 tsp. chopped pecans. Cut the ripe banana into 12 slices (or 24 smaller slices) and place on top of the nuts.


In a large bowl, mix the milk, eggs, 3/4 cup brown sugar, rum and vanilla extract together with a whisk until everything is fully incorporated. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients, which includes the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir everything together until there are no lumps remaining. Fill the cups on top of the bananas with the batter until it is a little over 2/3 of the way full.



Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Invert the cupcakes onto the baking sheet and leave the muffin tin on top to rest for 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove the muffin tins, tapping gently if you need to loosen them up.



No comments: