Thursday, June 19, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce


When I was little, I used to be able to eat strawberries. Then towards middle school I became allergic to them. My mom used to make this all of the time every year when the rhubarb started growing in like crazy. I remembered the smell but couldn't remember for the life of me how good it tasted (even though I remembered it being delicious). For the last few years I have been able to eat strawberries again (if you ever figure out my allergies....let me know because I can't). We made this sauce at her house a few days ago and it is still as good as I remember.


Ingredients:

4 c. strawberries, chopped
4 c. rhubarb, chopped
1/2 c. sugar (or Splenda if you want to make it sugar free)
2 Tbs. lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
1/4 c. water

Add all of the above ingredients to a medium size sauce pan and set on high. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. That's it......that's literally all you have to do. The waiting is the hardest part!


Normally my mom used to add the sauce in the middle of a pie dough, or puff pastry, and bake in cupcake tins (if I ever find her recipe for those....I will definitely make them and post it). But since today is my husband and I's 4 year wedding anniversary I decided to make something special out of the sauce for dessert. Here is my serial killer sketch of what I had a rough idea of making....


This is how it turned out....


Not to shabby I must say. I grilled the pound cake in a grill pan on medium-high heat for about a minute on each side. Added frozen vanilla yogurt on top, with the sauce underneath the pound cake. Yum!!

No comments: