Sunday, October 18, 2015

Cake Batter Doughnuts


We went out to camp yesterday before heading out to a surprise party. A friend that I hadn't seen in years, who also happens to be a cop, hit a milestone birthday and since he is a person that can take a joke pretty well, I decided to bake cake doughnuts. They turned out awesome, and I FINALLY perfected the doughnut glaze frosting!


To give you a peek at why I love baking at camp, i'll show you a few pictures. Our old camp burned down about 12 years ago now, and in 2013 we finally rebuilt. It is one of my favorite places in the world, and regardless of where I will go and haven't traveled to yet, it always will be. It's one of those places that you can close your eyes and just feel at peace. But anyways, back to the ambiance that I had going for me...



Ingredients:

1 box cake mix (I did one batch of French vanilla, and one of Chocolate)
1/4 c. oil
1 c. water
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix with the oil, water and egg. (If you plan on dying the dough, add your food coloring now.) Add the batter to a Ziplock, or piping bag. Spray a doughnut pan with non stick cooking spray. Cut the corner, or end of the bag with batter and fill the cavity of the doughnut pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the batter is fully cooked. Turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack or counter top and let cool fully. Each box of cake mix, for me, made 14 doughnuts. If you want thinner doughnuts, you could stretch it to maybe 20? Just make sure you lessen the baking time.


Doughnut Glaze/ Icing:

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbs. melted margarine
2 Tbs. milk, 1%

Whisk the powdered sugar, melted margarine and milk together in a wide bowl. Add food coloring if you want to color the glaze. Slowly dip the top of each doughnut into the glaze and swirl around upside down in the air to get rid of any excess. Place back on your cooling rack or counter top and add sprinkles. Let the frosting sit and room temperature and dry for at least 10 to 15 minutes, especially if you plan on stacking them together.


They really did turn out amazing! I know I am going with picture overload on this one but I am excited to finally find the right consistency for a doughnut glaze. The doughnuts themselves were easy as, well, cake! Now for a "few" more pictures.....



No comments: